So I’ve seen a lot of positive feedback about this product on YouTube and decided to try it out for myself. I have oily/combination skin and in the summer my face is a complete oil slick. It’s very difficult for me to find a face product that isn’t too heavy, like foundation, yet covers enough to even out my skintone and cover up my imperfections. On top of that, it’s difficult to find something that will keep all that in place. So I bought a sample size of this product for $11. The bottle is 0.51 oz, about the size of a regular nail polish bottle, so there’s really not a lot of product there. Even though this is Urban Decay, I still think that’s a high price for a sample product.
I first tried it with my Revlon Colorstay Foundation. I wore it to my internship, which is an office environment, and used the setting spray on top of it. For about 2 hours my makeup looked good and fresh, but after that my foundation started oxidizing/smudging and the makeup spray did not seem to be doing much to help keep it in place. So I was somewhat disappointed, considering how everyone was raving about this and that it works in all kinds of conditions (hot, cold, etc.) and I wore it in an air conditioned office, without any extreme changes in temperature or humidity.
I then switched up my everyday face routine to a BB Cream from Garnier (which I will have a separate review about) and BareMinerals foundation, which I used as a concealer on top of the BB Cream. This seemed to worked a lot better in terms of being light weight and the BB Cream seemed to give a good base for the BareMinerals to stick to, which made it a very good concealer option because cream concealers melt right off my face even if I set them with powder. I then sprayed my face with the setting spray and spent most of the day outside, in 95 degree weather with 45% humidity. On top of that, I was hosting a BBQ so I was running around sweating all day. My makeup DID NOT MOVE AT ALL. This setting spray seemed to work perfectly on top of minerals.
Now I don’t know if this is just my experience, perhaps this just doesn’t work so well with the Colorstay Foundation, but in my opinion, this spray is ideal if you are using mineral foundation. I am definitely considering investing in the full size of this product, which retails at $29 and is available on the Urban Decay website, at Sephora, or Ulta.
I will rate products I review based on 6 factors and will give 1 to 5 to each, 1 being very poor and 5 being excellent:
1. Quality – 5 because it is a super light weight, super fine mist, which you don’t even feel on your skin
2. Price – 3 because for a tiny sample size, it is quite expensive
3. Wearability – 5 (FOR MINERAL FOUNDATION ONLY) – wears beautifully and keeps your foundation in place
4. Longevity – 5 (FOR MINERAL FOUNDATION ONLY) – this lasted all day (about 8 hours) as I’ve mentioned earlier
5. Scent – 5 because this product does not have a scent. I am mildly sensitive to scents but it’s always a plus for me when products are unscented
6. Safe for oily/acne prone skin – 5 because I did not notice that this broke me out in any way and my skin is very sensitive in terms of product usage causing more breakouts.
Overall, this is definitely an investment, but if you have the same major problem as I do with your makeup melting off your face, especially in the summer, then this may be a worthy investment for you.
Please leave comments and let me know your opinions and if you have tried this product. I would love any feedback.